Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Golf Ball Review: Titleist HVC Tour SF


A few days ago I was in my favorite discount department store. I was wandering up and down the isles looking at the new stuff and avoiding the sporting goods section because that's where I spend the most money.

As an avid golfer I eventually made my way to the shelves with the golf balls and noticed that the Titleist HVC Tour SF was on sale for $10 a dozen. So, I picked up a dozen.

The next day I was on the golf course with my new balls in my bag and eager to get started.

The first thing I noticed about the ball was how similar it was to the Pro V1, which is the premium ball for Titleist. That's one of the things I like about Titleist, unless you look at the side label, you can't tell one ball from another. This ball oozes confidence.

Now for the moment of truth. I put on my best game face; I stick the peg in the ground and place my new ball on it. I align myself to my target. I make a mighty swing and...WOOHOO!

I normally play the more expensive Titleist Pro V1 and the Titleist HVC Tour SF was longer by about 30 yards! Now I am not a low handicap player. I normally have GHIN of around 12 and a swing speed right at 100 MPH. For me, a 30 yard gain is impressive.

The same was true of my irons. I was 10 to 15 yards longer on all my irons. Normally I would use an 8 iron to hit 135 yards. I hit my 8 iron over 150 yards and was long to the green on my approach shot. Not a big deal if you are a known short hitter. I was able to adjust as the round went along.

So where is the problem? It did not hold the green like the ProV1. I’m sure that on a hard green you can expect it to go right through the green unless you compensate for it. It should be good for the bump and run golfers. The target golfers may have a problem.

On the green the ball was great. I had a chance to practice on the putting green prior to the 1st tee and was impressed with the feel. It is not as soft as the Titleist Pro V1. Maybe more like the Pro V1X. I was holing out with longer puts and leaving the ball closer on the lags.

I went on to score well for the rest of the round and was impressed overall with the quality of the ball. It didn't scuff as much as I had anticipated. It held its roundness and I was able to get 2 rounds out of it before it was relegated to my shag bag.

So what’s the bottom line? Overall, I was impressed with the Titleist HVC Tour SF. I think I will continue to play this ball. I would give it 3 balls out of 4. It has found a permanent place in my bag. You should be able to find it at the department stores for less than half what you would pay for Pro V1/V1X.

I'm sure that some of the low handicappers would have trouble with my review and will surely dispute my findings. This just my opinion and hopefully it will help a fellow golfer. Play Well.


You can find additional info at the following links:

Click Here for more information
Click Here for more information

No comments:

Post a Comment